Tuesday 1 April 2008

Living the gringo life

Timing's never been my thing, but I'm beginning to get sick of my horrible timing! (Or maybe it's all part of my Personal Legend). Tomorrow morning I am leaving for the jungle for an unspecified period of time between 10 and 40 days. I'm not gonna hide I'm not looking forward to it: the heat, humidity, and insects are not for me. I finally understand perfecty all the people coming from hot climates complaining about the New Hampshire cold non-stop. When the climate doesn't fit you everything becomes so much harder! Also, I'd just began to enjoy the Cusco good life, aka meeting gringos and going out with them. Of course most of the people I met are tourists staying for a few days (adding to my horrible timing-related distress!), but a few are here learning Spanish or volunteering and staying a few months. It's been fun to go out to eat and drink, even though with my "salary" (if you dare call it so) I can't even afford a quiet gringa social life in Cusco.

Cristina, the woman from the Bolivian/ British organization that might want to work with us is here visiting the project. Tomorrow I am travelling to Pilco with her, her boyfriend and Simone. Tonight I met Doug, a volunteer who will be living in Pilco in May and June.

So let's hope lots of interesting griunguitos come by Pilcopata...the one in the picture is me--now, I'm sure you can picture me in the jungle! I miss weaing skirts, I had a dream the other night that I was home and looking for a skirt in my closet!

No comments: