Friday 28 March 2008

My Personal Legend

School is so uncontroversial, and doesn't cause sleepless nights thinking about how to solve problems! Granted I don't have a typical job, here is an attempt to compare school vs. work stress levels: LSE exams had me dealing with anxiety attack eating Covent Graden cookies with friends, while the work problems here have me awake at 5 am reading The Alchemist. And sometime between a 10pm headache and 5am insomnia I realise (or talk myself into believing) that Peru is part of my Personal Legend (read the Alchemist if you haven't).
Because Huycho is beautiful at 6am and at sunset and every other time of day,
because rain in the distance in the Sacred Valley is magic,
because of the genuine enthusiasm in Huayllabamba's school children at the news they'll have a volunteer teaching English,
because of the way the Machigenga know their river and their jungle
and because of the peace in the afternoon at Palotoa,
because of Rosa's trust in me and Frida's friendship
and all the women dealing with and fighting against machismo every day,
becuase of the sound of rain on a plastic roof,
because of the school directors' cooperation
and the host families treating me like a daughter,
because of Orisson's strenght and courage,
because of the volunteers who believe in what they're doing,
because I believe in what we're doing and in the people we're working for,
and because everything I learn will stay with me for ever.
This is why it is all worth it, and I know I am fulfilling my Personal Legend.
All simply because I have a family and friends who know--that (living in India for 6 months or) working in the Peruvian jungle is not, in reality, as romantic or as fascinating as it sounds.

Side note: Simone's host family refuses to belive we are not dating, so when I called to let him know I could not buy his ticket to Machu Picchu because they only sell it to the person going and he'd have to come to Cusco to buy it, the message delivered to him by his host father was: your love Erica called to know how you're doing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading you is always pleasant; because you have the gift to distill your doubts and struggles into pure beauty. Typical Italian mom, Stefano would say , I'm already hearing him... Never mind, let him say so, and let me be proud of you.