Sunday 27 January 2008

Buying a bottle of wine & other American stories

Yesterday morning (I think it was actually afternoon by the time we got our act together and left), Lorenzo took me to visit the Cascades, a beautifull waterfall about half an hour drive from Virginia Tech and a 2 mile hike through Thomas Jefferson forest. It was really beautiful, the woods were full of snow and ice (on which I fell repeatedly to no surprise for those who know me). It wasn't too cold and we took our time walking and looking at all the snow and ice and wood nature-made sculptures. I finally figured out a way to post photo albums, so I have pictures from our trip to the Cascades, and I added photo albums to the previous two posts. I was pretty shocked to see the really impoverished town of Cascades, leading to the forest. Almost all the houses were pre-built and carried there, but quite a few were actual containers, comparable to lower-middle class Costa Rican houses. Anyway, given the embarassing political situation in Italy, I will refrain here from expressing my views on poverty in the US.
We got back to Blacksburg and Lorenzo wanted to buy a bottle of Virginia wine so I could try it. I was so nervous as I went to pay for our bottle of overpriced Virginia Pinot Grigio, while Lorenzo pretended to wonder around the supermarket not knowing me. I was, after all, breaking the law, providing my 18-year-old brother with an alcoholic beverage! (If only they knew he's a ciucatun [Piedmontese for drunkard] who's been drinking since age 4!). We met in the car 5 minutes later, feeling like accomplished criminals.

Cascades and around

Last night we watched "Dan in real life", a nice comedy...and then went to a French Club house party with a couple of Lory's friends, a perfect blend between French and American: baguette, real French cheese, wine, beirut (or beer pong, as these Virginia Tech whimps call it--and they play with only 6 cups!), and sufficient drunkness. It was a lot of fun.

This morning after Church, Chris' mom and stepdad took us to brunch in my new favourite Blacksburg diner (the pancake place) where I had gritt and biscuit--the biscuit is salty and the gritt is a sort of salty porridge. And pancakes of course.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet you begin to feel nostalgic about American University life... Old age tricks!
I've been to the cascades in Summer and they were really lovely, but I guess they must be so much more enthralling in Winter. When I saw Niagara falls in Winter I found them unbelievable. As you know I'm a Winter animal (bad times for the such as me...) and there is nothing I find so magic as a Winter landscape. Send some pictures!
Mom

Anonymous said...

I believe you feel not nostalgic at all... Anyhow sounds really great! I really would love to be in the US of A... In the college where Vick was partying hard.. Oh yea!

Good luck in Peru and have a great flight!

Erica said...

what I don't miss and makes it impossible for me to live in this country in urban sprawl and the lifestyle it generates..